When petrol flowed by gravity.
Yes, there was a time during the transition from horse drawn vehicles to motor cars and trucks, when the Kings Arms upgraded to selling petrol to their guests for their cars. It was a very simple manual wobble pump that pumped the petrol from the underground tank up to one of two glass gallon jars and when full it was then switched over to drain manually via a metal boom pipe through a hose and into the cars petrol tank, or to fill the two gallon can as a spare on the cars running board. As the first was being emptied the second was being filled by the attendant. This photo was taken between 1925 and 1935, most likely using a Kodak 620 box camera, as it can be seen in the bottom right of the photo the shoe repair shop and what was Mrs. Vale’s sweet and cigarette and paper shop The petrol pumps remained in use until the end of the war, when they were dismantled.
The photo here is a close up to show you the way the petrol was delivered to the car from the measured glass jar via a swinging boom arm down into the car petrol tank using gravity.