This picture shows the exact location of the Tarrystone both past and present. Sarsen stones in the Thames Valley are quite rare. One was discovered at the Taplow working of the Prior Gravel company about 22 years ago. They are more common to the Wiltshire area and Stonehenge.
The original site of the Tarrystone was close to the Dower House, as it marked the boundary of the Cirencester Abbey property, although the stone may not have been on the exact same spot that it is on now.
William Venables, the owner of Cookham Paper Mill, was Lord Mayor of London during the 1820's (exact date is being researched) and he got a little bit above himself and stole the Tarrystone (according to Cookham people) and put it in his own garden at the Mill. When the last of the Venables died in 1908/09, Sir George Young bought the property and returned the stone to the site at the top of the High Street.
Prior to WWII there was a single gas lamp that lit the area and the stone. After the war this was changed to an electric lamp.
Behind the stone can be seen the memorial seat to Pilot Officer Michael Featherstone Briggs, who was killed in action on the 2nd of April 1941, while serving with #41 Squadron of the RAF.