Saturday, September 28, 2013

Gossip Joan.

Gossip Joan.
***************
My Thoughts of late have been reflecting once more on my school days at Holy Trinity and later at the Secondary Modern on High Road, better known back then as The Top School. One of the subjects that were on the curriculum was singing. Most of our teachers could play the piano. The songs that we were taught covered most of the well-known English Folk Songs. One of which I have used to give a title to this blog. The opening verse I still remember well:
Good morrow, Gossip Joan,
Where have you been a-walking?
I have for you at home;
I have for you at home
A budget full of talking,
Gossip Joan.
The style of the wording of the lyrics also brought home to us the English of the day when it was first written. Another folk song that I enjoyed because of the descant in it was: “A Keeper did a hunting go.”
Jackie Boy - Master
Sing you well - Very well
Heigh down-ho down, derry derry down
Among the leaves so green-o
To my hey down down- To my ho down down
Heigh down-ho down, derry derry down
Among the leaves so green-o
Also during those singing lessons that the vicar used to attend to recruit choristers for the church choir. Ah! Happy Memories!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

We sang that at primary school (perhaps on the Singing Together programme which was broadcast on the radio) in Wigginton, near Tring. However, I thought the words were : "a pocket full of talking" not a "budget". Not to worry, thanks for sharing these school memories
Susan