Numbers were reduced when the first tractor, an International 10-20, which the Astor's imported from the States. Its first driver was an ex-carter, George Parker, who remained its driver until he retired. The second tractor was an Alice Chalmer's Model B, which arrived again from the States in 1937. The third tractor to join the farm arrived just before the war, again from the States, and International TD-6 caterpillar tractor, together with a Ransome's four furrow plough. This unit cut down ploughing time to a fraction of that work done before. As it could plough 10 acres a day with ease.
Horses remained in use until the end of the Second World War in 1945, when they were eased out with the coming of the Standard Ferguson tractor.
The barn building number 29 was used for general storage use, such as excess dry concentrate feed for the cattle, and also a very dry spot to store Nitro Chalk fertilizer. In later years it was used as a grain drying plant.