This Blog is going to take you back 160 years or so and the language may seem a little odd, but this is the way it was written or reported in those days.
COOKHAM DEAN, a village in the parish of Cookham, is 2½ miles from Cookham, 10 miles from Henley, 5½ miles from the Great Western Station near Maidenhead, and 31 miles from Hyde Park corner. Part of this singularly romantic village is situated on an emuelence of at least 600 feet, nearly perpendicular; the other portion is a dell, imperceptible to the tourist, until he nearly decenderfals to the bottom. The living is a perpetual curacy in the Archdeaconry of Berks and the diocese of Oxford, is the gift of the Rev. John Peter Grantham, vicar of Cookham; the Rev. George Hewitt Hodson (incumbent); the Rev. Thomas Edward Powell (curate). The church which has been lately erected, is in the early decorated style of the 13th century; in 1845 it was consecrated and dedicated to St. John the Baptist and is now distinct from the mother church for all ecclesiastical purposes. Since the hamlet of Pinkneys Green has been assigned to it. There a primitive chapel for Methodists, also a National School for both sexes, capable of containing from 90 to 100.
Residents of Note:
Rev. George Hewitt Hodson (incumbent).
Miss Mary Ann Brougham. Mistress of the National School.
William Copas. "Chequers."
Thomas Frost. Grocer.
Mrs. Elizabeth Gosington. Beer Retailer.
William Hatch. "Hare & Hounds."
Benjamin Parsons. Beer Retailer.
Letters are received at Cookham and forwarded to Maidenhead Post Office.