COOKHAM: is a romantic and sequestered small town, containing 1004 inhabitants. It is situate on the south or right bank of theThames, 3 miles N. of Maidenhead, part of which is in the parish of Cookham. A Market was formerly held here, but it has been discontinued. The inhabitants of the town and neighbouring villages are employed in agriculuture, and in making boots and shoes, which are manufactured here in considerable quanties, this place being noted for the excellence of these articles. The establisment of Messers. Burrows and Son, is one of the most extensive of the kind in the kingdom. The church, an anccient structure, in Gothic style, has just been restored, at an expense of upwards of £3,500, including organ and clock. The original building is supposed to have been built 400 years ago, it is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. A very handsome memorial window has been added by direction of General Gordon to the memory of the Misses Lewis. The living is a vicarage, now held by the Rev. Joseph T. Brown, M.A., in the Archdeaconary of Berks, and diocese of Oxford. The Westleyans have a place of worship here. In 1858 new and substantial Parochial Schools were erected here, at the cost of £1669. The site was most liberally given by Messers. Neville, Reid, and Co., Windsor. A very handsome and commodious Infant School contiguous to the above schools, has lately been erected at the sole expense of the Misses Fleming. A Reading Room and Library were established here in December, 1857, in addition to which Miss Venables has an extensive and valuable Lending Library. Cookham has a station on the Wycombe Branch of the Great Western Railway. Fairs are held on the 16th of May and the 11th of October. The population of the entire parish in 1861 was, 4,467; acreage, 6,510.
Those dates of the fairs were when cattle were allowed to pasture on Common Land and when they have to be removed.
This is a is a list of those considered to be "GENTRY" residing in Cookham at that time.
Baber Rev. Charles (curate)
Bamford Mrs. Ann
Blissett Mrs. Isabella
Box John Esq, White Place
Brown Rev. Joseph T. M.A. Vicarage
Cahusac Thomas Esq., Moor Cottage
Darby Miss Julia
DeVitrè Mathew Esq., Formosa
Fleming Misses Isabella and Louisa, The Grove
Grant John Esq.
Harman John Esq., Moor Hall
Jewers Fras, William Edwin Esq., The Halls
Lang Henry Esq. Melmouth Lodge
Taylor Gustavus Thomas Esq., West Lodge
Venables Mrs. Mary, Cookham Mills
Young Lady Susan, Formosa Cottage
The Trades and Business residents will come in another edition of this Blog. So keep your eye open.